St Stephen in Brannel Parish Council aims to provide the highest possible standards of care, choice and dignity to those who suffer bereavement, and to create and maintain an environment where the bereaved can pay their respects and remember loved ones in the ways they feel most appropriate. A team of Sextons help carry out this aim by maintaining both Cemeteries and their hard work has been recognised by a number of awards since 1998.
St Stephen in Brannel Parish Council maintains two Cemeteries within the Parish:
St Georges Road
St Stephen Churchtown Cemetery
History of St Stephen cemetery
In 1876, the Parish Council purchased 2 acres of land at St Stephen for £400. Over the years, St Stephen Churchtown Cemetery has been extended many times with the number of burials reaching 4813 in 2010. In 1878, Mr George Fortescue of Boconnoc Estate had built the Mission Church of St George the Martyr at Nanpean. This enabled the Parish Council to acquire some adjoining land to provide a cemetery. Over the years Nanpean Cemetery has also been extended to a site which covers almost 4 acres with 3238 burials up until December 2010.